Get your body ready for Cold and Flu Season
With the COLD weather covering so much of the United States, many of us are facing a rough winter and the Cold and Flu season is right around the corner!
As we try to stay warm and dry, it seems that whether you are a believer of the germ theory or not, winter brings on more illnesses! I thought this would be a great time to review my favorite recommendations to do your best to stay healthy!
First, the basics … What you eat ~ your daily dietary habits can make or break your immune system. As a good rule of thumb, we should stay away from most grains, fried, starchy and sugary foods ~ we like to recommend staying away from anything white such as white sugar or white flour. Eat whole foods ~ soaked nuts and seeds, fresh or steamed vegetables and fruits . Eat organic, grass fed meats and cheeses and wild caught NOT FARM Raised fish. Do NOT use artificial sweeteners as a replacement! Honey, stevia, xlitol or organic unrefined natural sugar are the healthy options I chose from ( in moderation) .
Drinking plenty of purified water, healthy herbal teas or fermented beverages such as Kombucha, Apple Cidar Vinegar or Kefir-like Amasai, Suero Viv or Terrain Herbals from Beyond Organic.
Don’t neglect getting your exercise ~ keep your body moving and make sure you are doing something every day!
In the winter, most of us miss out on our Vitamin D from the sun so this is the time of the year to boost our Vitamin D3 supplements! It helps to boost your immunity, helps to elevate your mood and so much more!
Make sure that you can do your best to get enough sleep! Your body needs time to rest and recover from this busy season.
Hand Washing is a must! Germs hitchhike so keep hands clean when ever possible.
Some of my favorite products to take are first, Foundational supplements. I prefer whole food supplements from companies like Garden of Life, Beyond Organic, New Chapter, Mega Food etc. I like a good Multi Vitamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Zinc.
Probiotics are another important key to your health!!! There are so many companies with great probiotics from just one billion to up to 100 billion count with 30+ strains . Probiotics come in the usual dairy base or non-dairy base, liquid, shelf stable and refrigerated powder or caps. Find one that works for you and use it every day!
Another great way to grow the beneficial bacteria in your gut is to eat fermented foods such as sauerkraut, pickles, Miso, Tempeh, or Kimchi. One company in particular, Beyond Organic, offers Grass Fed, organic dairy products that are loaded with probiotics.
There are great herbs we can use to keep us healthy. Here is an snippet from Wellness Mama.com
Herbs to help beat cold and flu:
There are many herbs that support the body when healing from an illness. I recommend buying these from a trusted source online or growing them yourself, though you can find some of them at supplement stores.
- Nettle Leaf- Some natural doctors say this is the only herb needed for illness treatment. It contains large amounts of vitamins and trace minerals and helps the body stay hydrated and remove toxins. In a tea with Red Raspberry Leaf, Alfalfa and Peppermint, it makes a powerful immune supporting and illness preventing remedy.
- Elderberry- Elderberry is well known for supporting the body, especially during flu. You can find conventionally made elderberry syrups at many stores now, or to save money, make your own.
- Ginger- In capsule form, ginger can greatly help with nausea and vomiting associated with the flu. It can also help with high fever and headache. Fresh ginger root can be steeped in boiling water to make a tea that is very effective against sinus symptoms and congestion.
- Yarrow-Unsurpassed for flu and fever, and great for children. If used abundantly in tea or tincture at the beginning of an illness, it will usually shorten the illness to less than 24 hours. It is especially good for fevers as it induces perspiration and is great for all childhood type illnesses. It is naturally bitter, so it is often good to include peppermint and stevia leaf when making a tea. It is great for the liver and kidneys and supports the endocrine system.
- Chamomile- An absolute staple, especially for kids. Chamomile calms the nerves, helps children sleep better and reduces inflammation or fever. Soaking a chamomile tea bag in warm water and placing over an eye for 15 minutes every 2 hours will relieve pink eye in less than 24 hours. Chamomile tastes great and is easy to get kids to take. We use it in tea and tincture formula. It is also great for regulating hormones and for the skin and can be used regularly for good sleep.
- Peppermint- Great for all digestive disturbances and for lowering fever. It can be used as a tea or tincture or rubbed on the skin to bring a high fever down. It is antimicrobial and antiviral and kids usually love the taste. It can be consumed as a hot tea or cold tea during illness in any amounts.
- Catnip- A traditional cold and flu remedy, and a great herb for children. It helps induce sleep and settles the stomach. As a tincture or tea, it is a great herb for combating flu, cold or other illness.
- Red Clover- Very high in nutrients, Red Clover purifies the blood and relaxes the body. It has been used in hormonal preparations, but is also useful in treating almost any illness. Can be used in tea or tincture.
Personally, I like to keep in my own medicine cabinet Olive Leaf extract, Oregano, Garlic, Turmeric, and I always have Sovereign Silver, a Silver Hydrosol from Natural Immunogenics. These are great options for fighting virus and bacteria!
Lastly, another a couple tricks when feeling under the weather, sinus infection or congested in your head, a few drops of Hydrogen Peroxide in each ear daily will do wonders! Keeping your sinuses cleaned out by using a Netti Pot is amazing ~ great for allergies too!
Now is also a great time to schedule your next health consultation with me, here at Palm Beach Nutrition & Wellness. I can show you which of these herbs, foods or supplements will work best for your body ! Give me a call at 561-689-1070.
Here is to a healthy winter season !!
Owner, Nutritional Counselor and Health Coach
Palm Beach Nutrition & Wellness